On Fri, 2001-10-05 at 23:59, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Heikki, please correct me, if I say something stupid. ;-)
>
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 10:07:04AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Deryck, others:
> >
> > I'm doing some reading on InnoDB and am pretty ignorant on the subjets.
> > Can someone explain why would InnoDB be faster than MySQL?
>
> Please note that InnoDB also belongs to MySQL. What you probably mean
> is the MYISAM table type. InnoDB is "just another" table type.

Well, table handler "InnoDB" is part of software "MySQL". To be
politically correct I have to say that company "Innobase OY" doesn't
belong to MySQL AB :). InnoDB is by nature totally independent project
which just contributing to MySQL.

> If you use transactions, InnoDB will be a lot slower than MYISAM
> tables. InnoDB seems to be faster, if you disable commits (or at least
> the disk flushes connected with that). I think, one of the main
> reasons that it can be faster than MYISAM tables is that it
> preallocates disk space.

InnoDB is faster on write concurrency! This is the difference. Much
smarter row-level locking. This gives the speed.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/