Hey Tim,

I've run into this before.  The docs say that if you don't have the grant
tables set up you'll get that error:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/o/Post-installation.html (search for "host.frm"
in page)

But I've also seen it when I tried copying the support_files/mysql.server to
the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory and then issuing the command:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql.server start

even when user accounts were all fine.

If nothing else, you might try running the command, "safe_mysqld &" as root
from your mysql/bin directory.  If that works for you, you can add that
command to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to automatically start MySQL at boot
time.

Good luck!
-Joe