From: Cathy Cunningham (Blue World Lasso Evangelist)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 6:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: BLUE WORLD RELEASES BETA VERSION OF LASSO PROFESSIONAL
5STANDARD EDITION

At 11:06 PM -0500 10/17/01, David Dahl wrote:
>WOW, now you can BUY MySQL  from blueworld and run it on MacOS X and
>Windows 2000 only, or you can download the source code from MySQL and
>run it anywhere for free... hmmm... sounds great:)
>
>>Bill Adams writes:
>>
>>>   Seriously, is there a better forum for announcing commerical products
like
>>>   this?  Perhaps on the portal secion of the mysql.com site?  Or
somewhere
>>>   else?
>>
>>Abusing other instead of spending money on marketing
>>is not a very nice thing to do. And if all-caps are needed
>>to sell the product it probably shouldn't be sold at all.
>>The say that you can't blame someone for trying, but if
>>that really depends on what the person is trying to do.
>>
>>Sorry if this came out as a pointless rant. I just got back
>>from the pub.

Sorry some of you find my use of all caps upsetting (I was simply
copying the subject line from our PR, which like many uses all caps
strictly as a convention in order for the subject to clearly stand
out from the rest of the message). I'll be careful not to do that
again here.

Also sorry that some object to commercial software manufacturers
actually trying to inform people of what they have to offer to the
MySQL community here.

We do cordially invite all of you to check out what we have to
provide. We do believe we have something of considerable value, even
to those who feel they can get comparable software for free. We
simply believe we've got something better than PHP, JSP, ASP and
ColdFusion. And, with MySQL built-in, it makes it very easy for folks
who have yet to try MySQL to get going with it quick and easy.

We've licensed MySQL from MySQL AB, and, every unit of Lasso
Professional 5 Standard Edition that we sell puts money in the pocket
of MySQL AB. They are a business after all and need and appreciate
revenue from software manufacturers who work with them within the
confines of their embedded software licensing, distribution and
trademark agreements.

I'm sure they don't want to see the MySQL community negatively react
to any commercial software provider who tries to sell a version of
MySQL as a value-added component of their product.

Hopefully many of you see this as a good thing which is good for
MySQL AB and the MySQL community.

We're also bringing MySQL to markets in which it doesn't have yet as
strong a presence. We also hope some of you see this as a good thing
for the whole MySQL community.

Lastly, we're strong supporters of MySQL and and the company behind
it, namely MySQL AB. In fact, we've contributed an affidavit to
assist them with the legal wranglings their going through with
NuSphere.

So, please, cut us--and any other well-meaning company who simply is
trying to run their business--some slack. In the end, if some of us
earn some money while supporting the MySQL community and in turn we
can share some of that with the company who started it all--namely,
MySQL AB--then, I don't see how or why that's such a bad thing.

And lastly, for those who have inquired privately, while Lasso
Professional 5 is available currently just on Windows 2000 and Mac OS
X 10.1, we are planning a release for Red Hat Linux (Intel) soon. We
currently provide a free version of Lasso for Linux, e.g. Lasso Lite
3.6.5. We'll also have a free lite version of Lasso Professional 5
available on all platforms it supports.

Thanks for allowing me to chime in an explain things a bit.

CC

Cathy Cunningham                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lasso Evangelist
Blue World Communications, Inc.   http://www.blueworld.com/