Hi!

>Well, for one, I believe that Slashdot uses InnoDB tables, which tend to
handle
>a little better under very high load.
>Steve Meyers

There seem to be i/o bugs in Linux. What is
your Linux kernel version? 2.2.19 is believed
to be the most stable.

My current hypothesis is that many disk drivers
in Linux are buggy. My development platform
2.4.4 has been totally stable while another
computer with 2.2.14 expressed file read errors
and crashes.

High load should not cause table corruption,
but it may make some bugs surface in the OS.
Actually, has anybody seen table corruption
on Win NT/2000 or Solaris?

Regards,

Heikki
http://www.innodb.com