Can anyone give me some tips on how indexes work?

I noticed that UNIQUE() seems to create a lock on all given fields per
call like UNIQUE (md5, mime) so that no row can have the same combination
of md5 and mime type which is good but assuming I wanted to have each
unique on it's own I'd need UNIQUE (md5), UNIQUE (path) right?

Are INDEX's the same as KEY's? When I INDEX() something it seems to dump
as a KEY(). Does it matter if you INDEX ( path, md5, mime ) or
INDEX(path), INDEX(md5), INDEX(mime)? They seem to look different in the
db depending how I do it but both seem to run at about the same speed even
over a large db. Either is a huge speed increase over the original that
had only primary keys it seems.

Right now in a db with several tables.. some with hundreds of thousands of
rows.. the average query time seems to be about half a second to a second
on a P133. Is that good, bad, or normal?

*^*^*^*
Michael McGlothlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://mlug.missouri.edu/~mogmios/projects/