Hi,

I'm new to MySQL and indeed SQL in general (coming from an MS Access and
Flat Text File background).

I have data in text form at the moment of the following fields:

ID (Auto increment)
ARTIST (Text up to 255 characters long)
DESCRIPTION (Text up to 255 characters long)
PRICE (Decimal up to 000000.00 long)

There are approximately 3 million rows of information.

I need to create a table structure to import this data into, and then
indexes that would balance performance / efficiency to allow searches on the
ARTIST and DESCRIPTION columns (the searches will be across either or both
fields, and may be partial matches, full matches, Boolean AND / OR etc).

I'm running MySQL for windows at the moment for development, although will
move this to a Linux / Perl platform with the end result being a web based
search engine.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on the best table structure?

Many thanks,

Martyn