Hi

I've installed MySQL  3.23.43 binaries on Solaris 2.5.8 without UNIX
root privilege.   During installation, someone else with UNIX root
privileges ran mysql_install_db, added a normal user xxx and an admin
yyy.  At this point I do not see yyy owns all directories and all files.

     Following bullets describe what I have got right now.

     Scenario I
     .Start mysql  using  "./safe_mysqld -user=xxx"
     .Cannot connect to mysql  through "./mysql -u root" with or without
password.
     .Can connect to mysql  using "./mysql -u xxx"
     .Cannot select anything from mysql database as user xxx
     .Cannot create database, tables, .... as xxx or yyy .  Absolutely
nothing
     .Can kill mysql as yyy or xxx.

     Scenario II
     .Start mysql using  "./safe_mysqld -user=yyy"
     .Cannot connect to mysql  through "./mysql -u root" with or without
password.
     .Can connect to mysql  using "./mysql -u xxx"
     .Cannot select anything from mysql database as user yyy.
     .Cannot create database, tables, .... as xxx or yyy .  Absolutely
nothing
     .Can kill mysql as yyy or xxx.

When I ran ./yyy variables, it showed datadir is  /usr/local/mysql/var/.
After I start mysql using ./safe_mysqld -u=xxx or yyy,   shell command
ps -ef shows    /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld
--basedir=/usr/local/mysql --datadir=/usr/local.   What is my true
datadir?    I tried to do "chown -R ..." in either /usr/local/mysql/var/
or /usr/local/ .  It only showed that I was not a owner of anything.

Here is what I need.   How do I get there?  Should I reinstall MySQL
with UNIX root privilege?

   1.Normal user xxx to be able to be able to use MySQL DML and
grant/revoke privileges per his ownership.
   2.Admin user yyy to own all directories and all files, including
system files and execute all MySQL DDL.
   3.I can start mysql as myself and chown all directories and files.

Thanks,