Here are my compiling notes.
I find gcc the best for compiling both MySQL and Perl modules as
outlined below.

Compiling Applications for SCO Open Server 5.0.5

Compiling the Tools

This CD contains compilers and tools in the sco-downloads directory that
can be loaded using the SCO 'custom' utility.

The SDK I used was compiled as follows, and resides in the "custom"
directory.
To install them, use "custom" and the media image option..

If you wish to compile them yourself, here are the instructions.
You will need the SCO development system.
You may check the "scripts" directory for some "zz" scripts to help you out.

To compile gcc-2.95.2:
        load SCO cc
        extract gcc-2.95.2 to a work directory
        mkdir objdir
        cd objdir
        ../gcc-2.95.2/configure --prefix=/usr/gcc
        make bootstrap
        make install

To compile make:
        extract make-3.79 to a work direxctory
        ./configure --prefix=/usr/tools
        make
        make install

To compile binutils:
        PATH=/usr/tools/bin:$PATH ; export PATH
        extract binutils-2.9.1 to a work directory
        mkdir objdir
        cd objdir
        ../binutils-2.9.1/configure --prefix=/usr/tools
        make
        make install

Compiling MySql

To compile MySql you will need gcc-2.95.2 described above, along with
FSU-pthreads-3.5c from mysql.com. You will find "custom" loadable copies
in the 'custom' directory.
You will also need to load the linker and libraries off your SCO 5.0.5 CD.

I use the following script to compile and install MySql.
        PATH=/usr/gcc/bin:/usr/tools/bin:$PATH
        CC=gcc CXX=gcc ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
        make
        make install

Compiling Perl

To compile perl:
        edit hints/sco.sh and change:
                ld='ld'
                ld='gcc -fpic'

I use the following script to compile and install perl.
        PATH=/usr/tools/bin:/usr/gcc/bin:$PATH
        LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
        export LD_RUN_PATH
        sh Configure -Dcc=gcc -Dprefix=/usr/local/perl -d
        make
        make install

Compiling Perl Modules

To compile DBI and Msql-Mysql-modules just follow the directions found
in the packages. No makefiles need to be edited after running 'perl
Makefile.PL'.

--
Gerald L. Clark
[EMAIL PROTECTED]