From: Bill Adams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 11:22 AM
To: Rob Vonsee
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Request for information (MS Access & MySQL)

Rob Vonsee wrote:

> Dear developer,
>
> In the past several years, we have developed a database application in
> MicroSoft's Access '97.
> With our user base growing, we're encountering more and more limitations
in
> the Microsoft development environment, especially in the stability and
> number of simultaneous sessions of the database.
> Years ago, one of the main reasons for us to choose the Microsoft Access
> database was the fact that it can be distributed license free, giving us a
> leading edge in the market.

Um, that is patently false.  MS Access is anything but FREE.  You can
develop
free applications to run on it but you cannot give Access away for free.
Unless there is a special embeded developers version that you can license.
But again, that is not free.  Please feel free to correct any
misunderstanding
I might have.

And not to discourage you from using MySQL, but if you are writing a
commercial application you are going to sell that sits on top of MySQL, you
need to license MySQL for a very low price.  Compared to other dbs out
there,
it is quite inexpensive.  See mysql.com for more info.

> >From what we hear, MySQL can be a good option for us to do our future
> development with.
> In order not to waste our Access development knowledge, we would like to
> continue developing in Access, but then use MySQL as database instead.
>
> Our question to you is:
> Do you know of any party that has gone this way before us and where we can
> continue our inquiries?

I do not know any specific people you can contact, but search the list
(lists.mysql.com) for 'access convert'.  There are a few threads about this.

Assuming you want to convert your tables over to MySQL, there are a few
utilities to do that.  The biggest problem is that people develop MS Access
applications with table and column names with funny characters in them e.g.
spaces, #, others.  You can probably get around this with the backtick for
the
table/column name but I do not know how MyODBC handles that if at all.  I
used
find and replace http://www.rickworld.com/products.html to change the
table/column names for an Access db I needed to convert to MySQL.  There is
another tool too.

> Not only to answer our questions, but perhaps they could also do the first
> conversions/engineering/development with us.
> Since we are a Dutch company, preferably a contact in The Netherlands, but
> please don't hesistate to answer if you have another lead.

If you want to ask a few questions privately, I am willing to answer.

b.