On Wednesday 24 October 2001 23:09, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 06:25:58AM -0400, Tony wrote:
> > I am looking for a creative way to optimize my web application
> > (largely reads) with a transaction firehose on the data input side.
> > Batch vs. OLTP, if you will.
> >
> > Is there any technical reason why I could not configure the master
> > database without indices and the slave(s) _with_ indices?  The
> > intent being to isolate the inbound transactions from the reads
> > _and_ make the database inserts as simple as possible (e.g. few or
> > no indices).
>
> That ought to work.

Unless you have _any_ UPDATEs.  Then, it'll slow to a crawl.  MySQL is really
fast if you've got the right indexes.  It isn't much faster than grep on a
big text file if you don't :-)

If all you have are INSERTs and you can prove that they will never try to
overwrite old data on the slaves, you should be fine.  This is a pretty
serious constraint though.

> > Several slaves could be configured to throttle performance on the
> > web side (more reads, move slaves, etc.), which could gain a
> > performance edge by indexing.
> >
> > For disaster recovery of the master, one slave could be "untouched"
> > and not indexed.
> >
> > I'd be interested to hear comments.
>
> That's an interesting idea that I hadn't considered before.

I'd be worried about maintaining the strict "completely new INSERTs only"
policy over time.  If you are running stock or measurement data into it where
it is guaranteed that it is always new INSERTs, you should be OK.

Best,
Kyle

bot fodder: database, query, mysql, lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

MicroTelco Services saves money on every Fax:
- Fax to email (FREE)
- Fax to PSTN based Fax (Up to 95% Savings)
- Fax Broadcasting: Send 100s of faxes to fax machines
and email addresses in the time it takes to send just one!
    So send a fax today and let us know what you think!
       For more info. visit: www.internetfaxjack.com