I am working my way through Paul DuBois' excellent book "MySQL and Perl for
the Web."  One of the examples shows how to conduct a poll- vote for your
favorite groundhog:  http://www.kitebird.com/cgi-perl/groundhog.pl
Paul then suggests modifying the poll "...to log EACH vote and when it
occurred so that you can perform time-based analysis of poll activity."

How does one tally the vote (UPDATE) and insert a new record for each vote?

The original MySQL table is as follows:

CREATE TABLE
(
        name CHAR(10) NOT NULL,
        tally INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0
)

The vote tally is updated like this:

$dbh->do ("UPDATE groundhog SET tally = tally + 1 WHERE name = ?",
                undef, $name);

I updated the table to include an auto incremented vote_id(PRIMARY KEY) as
well as a timestamp.  But how do you log each vote and tally the vote?

Thanks!

JMM