When I start mysql 3.23.38 on our Solaris 2.8 machine, with or without
the /etc/my.cnf file read (i.e., I can move it out of the way or not), I
get the following messages:

/etc/rc2.d/S99mysql: @HOSTNAME@: not found

S99mysql is the script that starts up MySQL when I reboot the machine (I
believe it points to a script in init.d).

This is especially confusing because the script is set to run in the
Bourne shell, and my limited knowledge of same doesn't know of a
variable called @HOSTNAME@. There is a HOST, accessed, presumably, by
"$host," but substituting that into the script doesn't appear to work,
either.

Ideas?

Kyle Hayes wrote:

> On Friday 26 October 2001 07:18, Wai Lee wrote:
>
> > I dig through the manual and changed any possible settings
> >
> > set-variable    = max_heap_table_size=2000M
> > set-variable    = key_buffer=2500M
> > set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
> > set-variable    = table_cache=512
> > set-variable    = sort_buffer=2500M
> > set-variable    = join_buffer=2500M
> > set-variable    = record_buffer=2500M
> > set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=2500M
> > set-variable    = myisam_max_sort_file_size=2500M
> > set-variable    = myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size=2500M
> > set-variable    = thread_cache=8
>
> I am not certain, but I think you told MySQL to use 2.5G x 5 or 12.5GB!  That
> is a little more than the 4GB you have in the machine :-)
>
> In general, the advice I have seen it to make sure that all allocated buffers
> take no more than about 50% of the memory in the machine. MySQL allocates
> buffer space for indexes, but _NOT_ data.  It lets the OS do that.  Linux
> does caching of disk data very well, but you need to leave it some room to do
> this.  When you leave at least 50% of the space for the OS, it has a chance
> to cache disk data and accesses will be much faster.
>
> If you have a lot of large indexes, I would drop these settings to something
> like:
>
> > set-variable    = max_heap_table_size=200M
> > set-variable    = key_buffer=1000M
> > set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
> > set-variable    = table_cache=512
> > set-variable    = sort_buffer=250M
> > set-variable    = join_buffer=250M
> > set-variable    = record_buffer=250M
> > set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=250M
> > set-variable    = myisam_max_sort_file_size=2500M
> ?? Not sure about this one.  Check the manual.
>
> > set-variable    = myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size=2500M
> ?? Not sure about this one.  Check the manual.
>
> > set-variable    = thread_cache=8
>
> Best,
> Kyle
>
> --
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> MicroTelco Services saves money on every Fax:
> - Fax to email (FREE)
> - Fax to PSTN based Fax (Up to 95% Savings)
> - Fax Broadcasting: Send 100s of faxes to fax machines
> and email addresses in the time it takes to send just one!

Ari Davidow
Applications Administrator, Web Central
Tufts University

617-627-4291