Bill Adams wrote:

> Demirchyan Oganes-AOD098 wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I wanted to ask you 2 questions.
> >
> > 1. I have a table that has 2 columns, user_id,
> user_name.
> > User_id has been setup to a default value 1000
> and to AUTO_INCREMENT.
> >
> > When I insert a record, Insert Into User_Table
> (user_id,user_name) Values (Null,'Jon Doe');
> > I get  1  John Doe.  But I'm expecting
> something like 1000 John Doe. And when I do
> another insert, then it will be 1001.  Why this
> Default Value definition not making sure that I
> start with 1000?
>
> The documentation or FAQ found on mysql.com
> should answer how to get your auto_increment
> column to start at a value other than 1.

For those of you who asked me for a url, I was
hoping you would go to http://mysql.com/, click on
the big "Documentation" link at the top of the
page and try either or both of the the "Search
able, with user comments" or the "Dynamic FAQ"
links and do a search.

That is what I have just done.  The FAQ does not
have the answer to your question but searching the
documentation for 'auto_increment" returns a
number of results.  Looking through a few pages
manually, as I did, along with the browser's
search function reveals that the information is in
the page about alter table at the bottom.

I am trying to teach you to fish so you are fed
for life.  And I was trying to avoid spending the
effort searching for the information myself.  I
just happen to know it existed in the docs and was
trying to point you in the right direction.

b.

> b.
>
> --
>
> Before posting, please check: