On 26-Oct-01, Jeff Wiegley, Ph.D. said something totally profound about Build problems
on Solaris 7 and 8. that made me ponder...

JWP> The only useful question in this message is:
JWP>
JWP> How do I pass "-Wl,-R/usr/local/lib" to everything while
JWP> configuring and compiling MySQL?

CXXFLAGS?

JWP> Please don't tell me about adding LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
JWP> my profile. That's just plain dumb when you should be
JWP> able to pass "-R" to the linker.

I don't touch my LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable in Solaris 7 or 8.

JWP> I find it impossible to believe the INSTALL-SOURCE file when it
JWP> says "We use and develop the software ourselves primarily on
JWP> Sun Solaris (Versions 2.5 - 2.7) and SuSE Linux Version 7.x."
JWP>
JWP> Get a stock Solaris x86 box. Install GCC and make from
JWP> sunfreeware.com like any sane administrator would do.
JWP> Get, compile and install the shared zlib libraries(let it compile
JWP> into the default /usr/local/lib "./configure --shared")
JWP>
JWP> Now try to install and compile MySQL and watch it barf on
JWP> trying to find libz. I've got to add so much crap to CFLAGS, LDFLAGS
JWP> and CXXFLAGS before trying to configure MySQL that having an
JWP> automated build environment is basically useless.

I agree that there's a good bit of additional things to do to get MySQL to
compile, but I am successful in getting it to compile under these conditions:

Vanilla Solaris 8 (Sparc or i86) installation
gcc, bison, flex packages from SunFreeWare
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/xpg4/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
Then compile using my mini-HOWTO
http://users.talstar.com/forager/MySQL-HOWTO.html

No muss, no fuss.

JWP> Oh so maybe try Solaris 8... Get GCC 3.0.1 and try to build with that and
JWP> make...
JWP> gcc -DDEFAULT_CHARSET_HOME=\"/usr\" -DDATADIR=\"/home/mysql\"
JWP> -DSHAREDIR=\"/usr/share/mysql\" -DUNDEF_THREADS_HACK -DDONT_USE_RAID
JWP> -I./../include -I../include -I./.. -I.. -I.. -O3 -DDBUG_OFF -O3
JWP> -DHAVE_CURSES_H -I/mnt/nfs/NTCSoftware/mysql/src/mysql-3.23.43/include
JWP> -DHAVE_RWLOCK_T -c password.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/password.lo Assembler:
JWP> password.c
JWP>         "/var/tmp/ccn6BEfI.s", line 166 : Illegal mnemonic
JWP>         "/var/tmp/ccn6BEfI.s", line 166 : Syntax error
JWP>         "/var/tmp/ccn6BEfI.s", line 222 : Illegal mnemonic
JWP>         "/var/tmp/ccn6BEfI.s", line 222 : Syntax error
JWP>         "/var/tmp/ccn6BEfI.s", line 378 : Illegal mnemonic
JWP>         "/var/tmp/ccn6BEfI.s", line 378 : Syntax error
JWP>         "/var/tmp/ccn6BEfI.s", line 457 : Illegal mnemonic
JWP>         "/var/tmp/ccn6BEfI.s", line 457 : Syntax error

I found that gcc3.0.1 is giving me problems with a lot of programs, MySQL
included.  I've gone back to 2.95.3 for the time being.

But this list of errors above looks VERY familiar with the latest MySQL
release vs gcc3.0.1.

JWP> So I highly doubt anyone would have an accurate answer for me even
JWP> if I did include details. And the answers in the INSTALL-SOURCE file
JWP> are silly. Why should I have to mess up my filesystems by putting all
JWP> sorts of crazy symbolic links everywhere or rely on people to have
JWP> LD_LIBRARY_PATH set when I should be able to just as easily pass -R
JWP> (or other options) to the compiler and linker when they are doing their
JWP> job. Then mysql would work even if I moved the binaries to a different
JWP> machine that didn't have all the messy sym-links.

I think I read that file a long time ago.  I've compiled many many version
since then using my standard technique, and also by watching a listening to
the successes and failures of others on this list.

JWP> I am however suggesting that people take a closer look at the
JWP> configuration stage and get it right.

There are a good deal of things that could be fixed in the ./configure, I'll
grant that.

JWP> So that's my rant in a nutshell.

I've had simliar ranting sessions while beating my desk.  Hope you do better
in the future.
--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :     YourVillage.com
  Assistant Systems Administrator  :   2700 Apalachee Pkwy