Hi Everyone,

After staring blankly at the mysql manual for a.... long time, I thought it
might be time to ask the list...

I have a table setup with a varchar(20) column, I am using this column to
store a price, the reason I chose varchar(20) is because the prices I am
dealing with are fairly large and I wanted to guarintee 20 digits. There
are no characters like '$' or '.' stored in this column. Now, If I select
and where this column <= somevalue everything is good and works.. but! when
I use a string as somevalue it all goes nuts, because mysql will convert
the string to an integer if the other value in the comparison is an
integer, but if both are strings it's a slight problem. The reason I want
to compare it with a string is the data is from a web based form and
contains an escaped string. I don't want anyone playing with the database.

Here is the problem another way...

select '5' <= '6';
=> 1
select '5' <= '4';
=> 0
select '5' <= '40';
=> 0    <- eegad.....

does anyone know how I can get around this?

Thanks,

Daniel