Loud\ As\ A\ Whisper.aviMelvyn Sopacua wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> At 08:48 10/30/2001 -0500, jim barchuk wrote:
>
>> Hello Melvyn!
>>
>> > However - since we replicate our servers, to ensure high
>> availabity, we
>> > like to poll if the
>> > primary is up. We do this, because when a host is down (not the mysql
>>
>> Big Brother is a bit of an overkill for the 'one' thing you're asking
>> for
>> but it's a dynamite generic 'server monitoring' tool and you might find
>> other uses for it. It can page or email you when 'something' does down.
>> http://www.bb4.com
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> I know about big-brother and it might work for other tasks, but not in
> this case.
> The reason for replication is that our visitors are not bothered by
> our problems
> or maintenance windows. So - this php function, checks if mysql is
> alive and
> then disconnects after 15 seconds or successfull connect, whichever comes
> first. So there's a 15 second delay max. However - we also use a
> file-based
> caching mechanism, so in theory only users within that 15 second period
> experience the delay (and every 20 minutes another 15 seconds if the
> downtime lasts).
> If the primary is not available, the php function uses the secondary
> server,
> to ensure the information is processed.
> Big Brother cannot help out there and like I said, it's not only
> problems, it can
> also mean maintenance windows, like disk-array maintenance or a kernel
> upgrade.

I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but moodss (at
http://jfontain.free.fr/) has the ability to send email alerts (based on
thresholds), and includes ping and MySQL modules (such as myquery which
supports any select type  query).
I am working on moomps, due soon, which is the daemon version on moodss
(a graphical tool).

Let me know if you need more information on using those tools to solve
your problem.

Jean-Luc