Miguel,

I can look at the file /mysql/data/mysql.err by using emacs.  I do not need
to stop the server.  If I try a Windows tool like WordPad?, yes,
it does not let me see the file.

Heikki,

I checked the task manager.  I only have one mysqld running
which is the mysqld-max-nt.  I had mysqlgui  running while
I brought the server down and then up but I
do not think this can cause the problem.

Sorry to bother again, but I still get the message in mysql.err
that says I'm running a non-debug version.
I created the table innodb_lock_monitor.
It seems that I cannot get this info with mysqld-max-nt.
The --debug flag (if I need it)  seems to be ignored.  I did not see
any mysql*.trace file created.

The examples given in the manual and yours use mysqld.

This is the output:

=============

$ c:/MySQL/bin/mysqld-max-nt.exe --standalone  --debug
InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 447435769
011031 12:35:05  InnoDB: Started

================

$ mysql --user=sys --database=MyPCAServer -pmypsw
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 3.23.43-max-nt

mysql> create table innodb_lock_monitor(a int) type = innodb;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> show table status from MyPCAServer;
+---------------------+--------+------------+--------+----------------+-----
----
----+-----------------+--------------+-----------+----------------+---------
----
+-------------+------------+----------------+-------------------------+
| Name                | Type   | Row_format | Rows   | Avg_row_length |
Data_len
gth | Max_data_length | Index_length | Data_free | Auto_increment |
Create_time
| Update_time | Check_time | Create_options | Comment                 |
+---------------------+--------+------------+--------+----------------+-----
----
----+-----------------+--------------+-----------+----------------+---------
----
+-------------+------------+----------------+-------------------------+
| address             | InnoDB | Dynamic    |    559 |            205 |
114
688 |            NULL |        49152 |         0 |           NULL | NULL
| NULL        | NULL       |                | InnoDB free: 3810304 kB |

. . .

| innodb_lock_monitor | InnoDB | Fixed      |      0 |              0 |
16
384 |            NULL |            0 |         0 |           NULL | NULL
| NULL        | NULL       |                | InnoDB free: 3810304 kB |

. . .

+---------------------+--------+------------+--------+----------------+-----
----
----+-----------------+--------------+-----------+----------------+---------
----
+-------------+------------+----------------+-------------------------+
35 rows in set (1.60 sec)

mysql> quit

Contents of mysql.err:

c:\MySQL\bin\mysqld-max-nt.exe: ready for connections
011031 12:35:41 INNODB MONITOR OUTPUT
TRANSACTIONS

. . .