Hi,

In the first key, the combination of key1 and key2 must be unique, in the
second, key1 must be unique on its own, but key2 does not need to be.

Also, using the first primary key a

select col1, col2, ... where key2=value

cannot use the index but

select col1, col2, ... where key1=value

can

In the second example, either query may use an index.

You can search on any column - makeing the column and index (or the
left-most part of an index) allows the index to be used to make the search
faster.

MySQL Doesn't allow you to specifiy which index to use - it chooses
(sometimes badly) whether or not to use one.

Hope this helps.

Quentin