MySQL provides a rich list of APIs with which scripts and programs perform
data management.  Other than directly entering INSERT and UPDATE commands
directly at the mySQL command line, there is not built-in data entry
functionality.

Data entry (including, verification, validation, limit-checking) is
performed by scripts (PERL, PHP) or programs, such as those written in C.

<SUBJECTIVE_OPINION>
The easiest method to create data entry is browser-enabled forms using a PHP
script front-end.  The API is quite extensive and easily handles tasks I've
had to write hundreds of lines of code in years past.  Since everyone has a
browser on their desktop, this prevents you from developing thick-client
interface.  If some client-side calculations are required (thin-client
technology), these can be easily handled in JAVA or JAVASCRIPT.  Finally,
having started from a browser-based application, migrating your application
and database to the internet is far less costly and time-consuming
</SUBJECTIVE_OPINION>

The lack of data-entry and programming functionality is a fact-of-life of
the SQL-family of relational databases.  Like you, I, too, come from a
dBase/FoxPro/Access development world where these capabilities were built-in
to the database engine itself.  The SQL-family simply provides an API access
to your data and leaves insertion, update, retrieval, and display to your
own devices.