I have had to do this problem and i solved it by having 4 fields,
Normalprice (PrPrice),
Tempprice (PrTempPrice),
Start date (PrStart)
End Date (PrStop).

In the select

IF(((CURDATE() >= PRStart) and (PRStop >= CURDATE())),
PrTempPrice, PrPrice) as CurrentPrice

hope this helps

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Rick Emery wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:20:00 -0600
> From: Rick Emery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Alejandro Zuzenberg' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Can I use the concept of Effective Date with MySQL?
>
> SELECT price FROM mytable WHERE price <= theprice DESC LIMIT 1;

Sincerely,

William Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
CyberStrategies, Inc
ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27