I often find myself in the following situation:

I have a master table and a detail table, the detail table contains
I now need to display one line for each of the master records with the
latest status from the detail table.

I have experimented with the GROUP BY and ORDER BY clauses of MySQL, but it
seems to have a mind of its own with regard to which detail record gets
returned in the collapsed result set.

Is there any way I can influence the record in a secondary table that is
returned as a result of grouping on a primary table? I tried selecting a
MAX on the timestamp field, in the hope that somehow the resolution of that
maximum would leave the other fields in the record sticky to the position
that the maximum was found... with no success...

I really would like to avoid changing the structure of all my database
tables to contain the latest statuses in the master table. For one thing
this clutters up the database design by replicating information.

   Jerry van Leeuwen
   Business Analyst - Trans Data
   Tel: 02 - 9630 3533
   Mobile: 0407 - 480 811