Heikki,

Removal of the log= option and even the log-bin statement did not help. I
used the latest (2.23.44) RPMs from one of the mysql.com mirrors. I don't
think it's a download issue because the problem originally occured with the
2.23.43 distribution.

The crash occurs within seconds of starting mysqld-max so the server never
really runs. I did read the Forcing recovery section of the manual and it
suggests that I might have to reboot to clear some memory condition. I will
give that a try.

Thanks,
Stephen

> Stephen,
>
> I resolved now with the mysql-max-3.23.44...tar.gz distribution. I
> still do not understand what mysqld is trying to do here. What
> distribution do you use, or did you compile yourself?
>
> 0x807b90f handle_segfault__Fi + 383
> 0x8253c7a pthread_sighandler + 106
> 0x80cf21a change_active_index__11ha_innobaseUi + 230
> 0x8078693 lock_external__FPP8st_tableUi + 107
> 0x807853d mysql_lock_tables__FP3THDPP8st_tableUi + 333
> 0x80b202b acl_init__Fb + 411
> 0x807c656 main + 2454
> 0x82639fb __libc_start_main + 99
> 0x8048111 _start + 33
>
> Setting innodb_force_recovery to 6 does not help if the crash really
> comes from the above sequence. Please do not try it before we
> understand what the stack dump means.
>
> Have you tried taking the log=... option out from your my.cnf?
>
> Does the crash happen immediately after startup?
>
> With no database activity?
>
> Regards,
>
> Heikki
>
> At 11:56 AM 11/2/01 -0800, you wrote:
>>> Stephen,
>>>
>>> I resolved the stack dump based on the 3.23.43 symbols file. I do not
>>> understand what mysqld is trying to do here. Are you sure the stack
>>> dump is from 3.23.43?
>>>
>>> 0x807b90f init_signals__Fv + 71
>>> 0x8253c7a __tfx + 26
>>> 0x80cf21a index_prev__11ha_innobasePc + 74
>>> 0x8078693 mysql_lock_remove__FP3THDP13st_mysql_lockP8st_table + 99
>>> 0x807853d mysql_lock_tables__FP3THDPP8st_tableUi + 557
>>> 0x80b202b acl_init__Fb + 795
>>> 0x807c656 main + 2678
>>> 0x82639fb __printf_fp + 5027

--