I finally got the following few lines of code to work:

$userdb=$feilds{'user'};

$rows=$dbh->do
    ("INSERT INTO bandbook (user, ect, ect, ...)
     VALUES    (?,?,?,?,?,?,?)", undef, $userdb,
'ect', 'ect', ....)
  || die "fucked up inserting data: $DBI::errstr";
 print "$rows row(s) added to bandbook\n";

I must admit that I don't understand the purpose of
the ?'s but after many hours of debugging, I'm not
complaining.