Andrew wrote:

> I an running Slackware with the 2.4.5 kernel on a Dual PII system. I
> have run mySQL versions from 3.20.something to 3.23.29 (or so) under
> kernels from 2.0x-2.2.19 with no real problems. I always compile from
> source when possible.
>
> I have down;oaded the mysql source tarballs for 3.23.44 and 4.0 alpha
> and have configured and compiled with and without Innodb support using
> different installation directories and compile flags (my regular set and
> the recommended set from the Installation hints). I run as root with no
> mySQL password (single user development).
>
> The problem appears after running the mysql_install_db script. When I
> attempt to start the server using mysql.server or safe_mysqld it starts
> and shuts down immediately.  In the var directory I find
>
> mojo.index
> mojo-bin.001
> mojo.err
>
> for my server (named mojo)
>
> The error file message is always the same (/usr/local/mysql and
> /local/mysql are the paths I have tried using, shifting to a different
> disk in case I had bad sectors I didn't know about)
>
> e.g.
>
> 011111 04:07:36 mysqld started
> \a/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: File './mojo-bin.1' not found (Errorcode:
> 13)
> 011111 4:07:36 Could Not use  mojo-bin for logging (error13)
>
> and then additional lines with similar messages about not
> being able to create or write or find : the pid file or the frm file or
> the Innodb data file, etc
>
> and then it ends politely.
>
> The err file is in the correct place, so I can't imagine I have a
> permissions problem as root.
>
> I was wondering if anyone can help with this.

I found a 'user=mysql' entry in the my.cnf I adapted from the source
Support files directory that I had not noticed. I also learned that my
shadow file had a mysql user I didn't know about (new addition to the
slackware setup now that they include mysql binaries with the install
files). I now have mysql (4.0 alpha) running, but I had to add a
'--skip-innodb' line to the startup. I get an Error 21 if I allow Innodb
to be started. IS there a quick answer to this (like innodb needs to
have the user specified somewhere) or will I have to go through all the
Innodb documentation?

Thanks for any help.