I've read over the section in the manual that covers grant/revoke but I
still have a question.  I want to make sure I'm not assuming anything before
I start messing with 12000 user accounts.

If I create a user by issuing:

GRANT select, insert, update, delete, index, alter, create, drop
ON somedatabase.*
TO  'theuser'@'%'
IDENTIFIED BY 'somepassword'

and then subsequently revoke their rights (to temporarily suspend access to
the db)

REVOKE all on somedatabase.*
from 'theuser'@'%'

Can I then re-enable their account by issuing:

GRANT select, insert, update, delete, index, alter, create, drop
ON somedatabase.*
TO  'theuser'@'%'

Will this leave their old password intact?

Regards,
Gary "SuperID" Huntress
FreeSQL.org offering free database hosting to developers
Visit http://www.freesql.org