Aaron Williams wrote:

> Hello again list. I sent this message yesterday and wasn't able to
> get an answer. Just curious to see if any of the gurus out there care
> to share some insight on a mid-level MySQL setup, and can offer some
> starting points for learning how to troubleshoot the same.
>
> | Begin message:
>
> I have a dedicated server (a Sun E4500 CPUs 4x400mhz w/ 4 gigs of ram
> and 8gigs of swap, which is connected to a 100+gig dothill RAID with
> its own controller. The only function of this server is to run MySQL.
> The tables run upwards of around 13-15 gigs each. The nature of the
> data forces me to search the entire contents (looking for unique
> values) around 3000 times a day. The server is running Solaris 2.8,
> with MySQL 3.9.43 compiled in 64bit mode. All tables are currently
> MyISAM tables. (Will probably be going with InnoDB, but large file
> support was -just- released).
>
> All of the documents (manuals, online forums, etc) I have looked
> through include the "huge" my.cnf configuration, but it isn't large
> enough for my hardware. So, in my limited knowledge of my.cnf
> settings, here is what I have currently:
>
> set-variable    = key_buffer=3096M
> set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
> set-variable    = table_cache=512
> set-variable    = sort_buffer=1024M
> set-variable    = record_buffer=512M
> set-variable    = thread_cache=32
> # Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
> set-variable    = thread_concurrency=16
> set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
>
> Can anyone show me a .cnf that would offer more performance?
>
> Also, I can't seem to get MySQL to use any of the other processors. I
> know that Solaris 2.8 has SMB and threads in it, as running dnetc
> tests show all four processors working together. However, running
> heavy CPU load MySQL selects (eg: select count(distinct(foo)) ) top
> shows a steady 75% idle, with a running iostat of near nothing, so it
> isn't disk bound. Running multiple intenses of the queries shows the
> same results, 75% idle, meaning only one CPU is being used.
>
> My installation of MySQL was compiled locally from source, with the
> following configuration options:
>
> ./configure --without-innodb --without-bench --without-debug
>
> Anything with that configuration that would be limiting me to just one CPU?
>
> Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.
>
> --
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Aaron Williams                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Black Raven.com              http://www.backraven.com
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hi,

If you run a single query, MySQL will use only one processor.
MySQL multithreading allows you to run multiple queries in parallel,
one query per thread.

Have you identified your bottleneck (CPU, filesystem I/O, swapping) ?

What does 'mysqladmin extended-status' tell you ? (Allocating 3Gb of
key_buffer only makes sense if you really need them).

Is your query optimized ? What does EXPLAIN tell you ?

It is hard to help you without any details since optimising my.cnf
parameters not only depend your hardware configuration but also
on your database usage pattern.

Regards
--
Joseph Bueno