Can someone PLEASE explains how MySQL does authentication remotely????

After installing MYSQL I created a user root with xyzxyz password. The
database allowed that.

When I connect Mysql, via java codes, from the same machine it works
perfectly.

When I connect Mysql, via java codes, from a remote machine it does not
work. How come ???? the user is the same, the IP address is the same...

It's getting confused with the original root user Iguess.

Can someone give a hint on this???

Thanks

Siomara