I'm trying to figure out how to optimize a query on a fairly large table.
I've been reading the MySQL documentation and have tried a few of the
suggestions, but not seem to have much effect on the query.

The table contains three columns:
1) int unsigned
2) char(12)
3) char(10)

The table has 47,000,000 + rows.

I have my key_buffer set to 512M.

I have a primary key index on column 1, a multicolumn index (col2,col3) and
another single column index for col3.

The columns are not unique, in fact, some column 2 has as may as 1,000,000
rows with the same value.

I am running MySQL 3.23.37 on RedHat 6.0 with 1 Gig memory and a single 700
Mhz processor.
The hard drive is a single 18 Gig SCSI drive.

I am searching on col 2 only, col 3 only, or col 2 and col 3.

The queries on single columns can take as long a 6 minutes to execute.

Any suggestions on how I can further optimize the setup to get better
results?

Thanks,
Jeff