> how do you communicate the binary strings to MySQL? From the manual I
> found:
>
> "
> If you want to insert binary data into a BLOB column, the following
> characters must be represented by escape sequences:
>
> NUL
> ASCII 0. You should represent this by `\0' (a backslash and an ASCII
> `0' character).
> \
> ASCII 92, backslash. Represent this by `\\'.
> '
> ASCII 39, single quote. Represent this by `\''.
> "
> ASCII 34, double quote. Represent this by `\"'.
> If you write C code, you can use the C API function
> mysql_escape_string() to escape characters for the INSERT statement.
> See section 8.4.2 C API Function Overview. In Perl, you can use the
> quote method of the DBI package to convert special characters to the
> proper escape sequences. See section 8.2.2 The DBI Interface.
>
> You should use an escape function on any string that might contain any
> of the special characters listed above!
> "
>
> Try also inserting rows to your table from the mysql command line
> client. Does that work? Does MyODBC work if you insert simple ASCII
> strings (not binary strings) in place of the BLOBs:
> 'jhghjghgjgjgjkgkjhhj'.
>
> Regards,
>
> Heikki

Heikki,

Manually inserting text into the blob fields work fine. I was also able to
convert the table type from MyISAM to INNODB and the blob fields stayed
intact. I guess there must be some unescaped sequence in the blobs that is
preventing the insertion of the first record when the table type is innodb.
I'm not sure how (or where) you would include an escape function in
Access97. I don't see any obvious switch that can be set in MyODBC either.
Any suggestions? I will post the problem to the MyODBC list.

Thanks,
Stephen