From: Bill Adams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 11:05 AM
To: Brendin
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: primary key based on unique value for two columns

Brendin wrote:

> I would like to have a table that has a primary key defined on a
> combination of two columns in the table.  In other words a unique key
> based upon the values in two columns.
>
> I don't think I am able to do this in mysql.  I think you can only have
> a primary key on one column and not on a combination of columns.  If I
> am wrong please correct me.

At least in 3.23.x (x>?) and higher you CAN have a primary key on multiple
columns.

> I am looking for work arounds.  I have thought of one.  That would be to
> concatenate the columns and use a field terminator such as a - to
> separate the values or (columns) in the single column.  Then you could
> use string functions to parse the columns.  Ex:

[snip]
There is a maximum key lenth so if you have two char(255) columns you might
need to do something like:

ALTER TABLE table ADD PRIMARY KEY( char_col1(100), char_col2(100));

However, this also means that the combination of the first 100 chars from
each column must be unique.

b.