From: Arne K. Haaje [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 4:29 PM
To: Christopher Book
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 'too many connections'

Christopher Book wrote:

> No, I'm not using mysql_pconnect, and my apache configuration seems fine.
> don't have very many users at the moment so there is no reason for the
> connections filling up.
>
> >>This can be due to your apache configuration. do you use mysql_pconnect
> function in php. Check you apache setting agains MaxClients StartServers
and
> etc...

Try adding something like set-variable=wait_timeout=1800 to your my.cnf.
We found that when using mysql_pconnect the connections stuck around for
far to long. MySQL's default is pretty high for a webserver that gets a
few hits.

After adding wait_timeout=1800 we have never seen 'too many connections'
again. We still use mysql_pconnect.

Regards,

Arne

--