Hi Steve,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Fink" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > I couldn't find an explanation of this behavior in the docs. When I
> > use the following CREATE command:
> >  CREATE TABLE D6 (id int(10) not null unique);
> > it appears to automatically create an index for me:
>
> Argh! Never mind. Learn something new every day -- the 'unique'
> keyword *is* a definition of an index. Weird.
>
> So maybe I should change this to a feature request: when MySQL hits
> one of the kajillion wacky parts of SQL that implicitly name indexes,
> could it check whether its default name is a keyword before creating
> it? That's what breaks the reasonable expectation of mysql being able
> to read its own dump files: you create a table with an indexed column
> named 'version', and mysqldump renders that as 'KEY version(version)',
> which bombs, instead of (eg) 'KEY (version)', which would be fine.

I just tried it with mysqldump 3.23.41, and there is no problem there
because mysqldump puts a space between version and (.
If you do SHOW CREATE TABLE from a client, the output uses backticks
like `version` which also prevents any probs.
So, sneaky though it may be, it will actually work! ;-)

You said you were using 3.23.32.... if you get different out there from
described above, it has been fixed since.
Okidoki?

Regards,
Arjen.

--