I created the "persons" and "shirts" tables as described in the MySQL
tutorial:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/e/x/example-Foreign_keys.html

such that the "owner" field in shirts is a foreign key referencing the
"persons" table.  However, "describe shirts" does not indicate that the
field is a foreign key: (may have to widen mail viewer window to view the
following table)

mysql> describe shirts;
+-------+---------------------------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field | Type                                        | Null | Key |
Default | Extra          |
+-------+---------------------------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id    | smallint(5) unsigned                        |      | PRI |
NULL    | auto_increment |
| style | enum('t-shirt','polo','dress')              |      |     |
t-shirt |                |
| color | enum('red','blue','orange','white','black') |      |     |
red     |                |
| owner | smallint(5) unsigned                        |      |     |
0       |                |
+-------+---------------------------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

How do I find out which fields are foreign keys?

For that matter, in a MyISAM table, what difference does it make whether
you specify that a given field is a foreign key referencing another table
-- as opposed to just an integer field with the same data type as the key
field of another table?  Since referential integrity is not enforced with
MyISAM tables, does it not make any difference whether I tell it that a
field is a foreign key?  Is that information discarded entirely?  (Which
would explain why "describe" doesn't show it.)

The only reason I wanted to know whether a given field was a foreign key,
was because I'm hammering together my own Web-based interface to MySQL
tables, and I was hoping that when the table contents are rendered in an
HTML table and a given field is a foreign key, I can have its value
hyperlinked to the appropriate row in the table that it references.

        -Bennett

[EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.peacefire.org
(425) 649 9024