Use the php function 'explode' to seperate words based on spaces into an
array, and then go through your list checking the length of each word.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Issod [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 10:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: search engine in 3.23.32

I'm running into the problem of word length shorter than 3 characters
not being accepted in this version of FULLTEXT searches. Example at:
http://www.hearth.com/search/index.php (use fuzzy search at bottom)...

I can't recompile now, and also don't have the technical ability to
create a complicated php work around, but here's what I'd like to do.

Set up some PHP to look at the submitted search string, and if any
words in it (except for a small defined list in the PHP like "the,
for") are exactly 3 characters, that search will go to a regular
'LIKE" query instead of the default MATCH. I do know the if/then
part...what I need help on is the logic of picking out 3 letter words.

I know this may be a bit off-topic, but any hints on doing so in PHP
or javascript would be welcome.

Craig Issod             HearthNet at http://www.hearth.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    Everything your Hearth Desires