Hello,

I've been using MySQL for over two years running out of my own
directory with my userid. My current version is 3.23.40. Recently
in upgrading my system, I installed mysql-3.23.36-1.i386.rpm
built by RedHat as user root because it was needed to install
rpm2html. Though installed, this version of mysql was never
run.

After installing the rpm, I was unable to start my private version
of MySQL using safe_mysqld because it always attempted to access
the databases in the rpm defined directory (/usr/share/mysql/var
I think, sorry, I didn't write it down).  This failed because
under my userid I do not have write permission for this directory.
In any case, it is not where I have my private databases.

Since it was not obvious how to force the safe_mysqld script to use
my private directory, I removed the rpm and the problem
went away.

It would be preferable if a private installation (complete build and
install) would be totally self-sufficient by default and not
confused/usurped by a subsequent rpm installation.

Best regards,

Kern

PS: Thanks for the nice package, keep up the good work.