I'm sure this question has been answered a million times, so please pardon
it again. If there's an appropriate FAQ, please point me to it.

My problem is fairly simple: I've set up a couple of users of the form
username@localhost. When I run a 'SELECT * FROM USER;' in mysql, they show
up, with the appropriate values in the host and user columns. When I attempt
to grant priviliges to them, though, I get this error:

mysql> grant all on testdb.* to alex@localhost;
ERROR 1133: Can't find any matching row in the user table

Like I said, though, I *know* the user is in the user table, as shown by
'SELECT HOST, USER FROM USER;':

+-----------+--------+
| host      | user   |
+-----------+--------+
| localhost |        |
| localhost | alex   |
| localhost | apache |
| localhost | root   |
| www       |        |
| www       | alex   |
| www       | root   |
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Also, if I try to connect to any databases as a non-root user, MySQL sees me
solely as '@localhost' -- i.e., it doesn't see my UNIX user name. What's up
with that?

Thanks in advance.

Alex Kirk