Hrm... so it is going to need to rebuild all the indexes, not just the
table I am adding... doh... oh well, should still be faster, I'd guess.
Probably my best bet in this case is to create a new merged table with the
new table and all the other old ones, then replace the old merged table
with the new merged table.

  I will try it out tomorrow and see... no problems with it being
the same, I will be generating the tables from a perl script :)

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 03:04:35PM -0800, Bill Adams wrote:
> "Anthony R. J. Ball" wrote:
>
> >   Ok, so to follow... Paul Dubois told me the little
> > RENAME TABLE trick to swap out a table... Will that work
> > on a table in a MERGE, or are there different hoops to
> > jump through?
>
> Your table names need to be unique.  Then it should work just fine.
>
> o If you do rename a table that is part of the merge, you will need to rebuild
> the merge table.
>
> o If you want to reindex the tables that are merged, be sure to either drop the
> index in the merge table or drop the merge table BEFORE you reindex the real
> tables.  This is not fatal if you forget: just you might get weird errors.
>
> o If you do a SELECT ... WHERE indexed_column=value and get back a bunch of
> records where everything is blank, your indexes (or possibly columns) are not the
> same between the real tables and/or merge table.  Remember ORDER MATTERS!
>
> b.

> > > Merge table sound like they fit the bill.  Beware that they are very finicky
> > > and the columns MUST be the same and the index order must be the same.
> > >  Search the lists (esp. for my name) for more info.
> > >
> > > b.
> > >

> > --
> >  ___  __  __    __  _  _  ____    _  _  ____  ____
> > / __)(  )(  )  /__\( \/ )( ___)  ( \( )( ___)(_  _)
> > \__ \ )(__)(  /(__)\\  /  )__)    )  (  )__)   )(
> > Once I thought I was wrong - but I was mistaken
>
> --
> Bill Adams
> TriQuint Semiconductor

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.