On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:29:27 -0800, Jeremy Zawodny used
a few recycled electrons to form:
| On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 04:14:58PM -0600, Michael Brunson wrote:
| >
| > Has anyone ran any benchmarks as to what affect different number of
| > RAID_CHUNKS has on speed?
|
| The more chunks, the slower your retrieval speed is likely to be.  But
| how many chunks do you really need?  More than a few?

The .MYD right now is right at 2G, so 2 chunks would
work. We would need to rebuild again once the combined
size hits 4G. I could see the table growing, but
probably not more than another 10 million rows in the
next year. (It's at 30M now.)

| > mysql> select count(*) from names where sld like
| > 'foo%';
| > +----------+
| > | count(*) |
| > +----------+
| > |    56033 |
| > +----------+
| > 1 row in set (0.33 sec)
|
| Is there an index on "sld"?  It would seem so.  If that's the case,
| the test is relatively meaningless.  The index will be used to answer
| the query, not the raid'ed data files.

Yes, sld is the primary key for the table. In fact, sld
is the only column in the table.

| > mysql> select count(*) from names where sld like
| > '%foo%';
| > +----------+
| > | count(*) |
| > +----------+
| > |   151460 |
| > 1 row in set (2 min 3.70 sec)
|
| Same here.
|
| If you have a lot of "%foo%" queries, you probably want to look at
| fulltext indexing.

Any ideas why the times would jump up for 3 chunks and
back down for 5 and 15? Anyone think this might be more
of a memory/swap issue?

Thanks for any input,
Michael