Good morning,  this is my first post to the group.......
The brew is
     Solaris 8(sparc/sunblade)
         GCC.2.95.3 <---pkg install
          Flex 2.5.4a  < ---pkg install
          Bison 1.28   <--- pkg install
           Mysql 3.23.44  < compiled ( listed as stable version)
            Apache1.3.20 < compiled
             PHP4.0.6     < compiled
                    and on top of this use php-nuke to jazz up a website
or 5

    After 3 weeks of fielding problems, mostly with PHP, we fnally got
to the point where httpd was ready to start
and wound up with
     "/usr/local/etc/httpd/libexec/libphp4.so: symbol
mysql_module_entry:  referenced symbol not found"

   Questions went out on the net....  This AM received a hint regarding
a new version and re-compiling would probably work.  So back to
mysql.com to download version 4.0.0.   Set up, configure and get this
                  " configure: error: can not run test program while
cross compiling"

  This is addressed in the README and says you can try and bypass  it
with a line in the config.cache, which was tried and
didn't work.
  Further delving into the documantation indicates that on Solaris 8,
the GCC compiler has to be 2.95.2 ( presumably 'or higher"), mine is
2.95.3

  More documetation ensues and says the correct config line is

     CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O3" \
     CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
-fno-rtti" \
     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-low-memory
--enable-assembler

and I'm back to
" configure: error: can not run test program while cross compiling  "

  So what's going on folks..

  Any help would be appreciated...