Todd,

The "arrow" is like the PS2 prompt from your shell in Unix.  That is,
the first line of your command says

Mysql>

and every line thereafter is just a "greater-than".  This is because
the mysql client is waiting for more commands.  You can enter more than
one command at a time this way, and not have to write it all out on one
line.

When you are finished with a command, place a semi-colon or a
backslash-"g".  In other words, I think you wanted to enter the
following command:

Mysql> show tables ;

or

Mysql> show tables \g

Note that the spacing between the command and the semi-colon (or \g)
doesn't matter, you can have the sem come right after your text or you
can add a space for clarity.

--- Todd Williamsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I looked all through the documentation for this and I cannot find the
> command for listing tables in mysql in telnet.
>
> I get this:
> Mysql> show tables
> ->
>
> I have no idea what the arrow does and what I am suppose to do with
> it.
> I type in commands and it just does another ->  What is that?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Todd Williamsen, MCSE
> home: 847.265.4692
> Cell: 847.867.9427

=====
Microsoft e[X]tra [P]roprietary
-- Is this where you really wanted to go today ? --

http://www.redhat.com/about/opinions/xp.html