Hi

This is not an atempt to start a flamewar!!

We're about to build a db server for educational purposes. Running 150+
databases pr. semester. Nothing big, nothing demanding when looking at a
single database, but combined it may give some load (might be a lot of
concurrent activity during classes, none afterwords, etc).

Back to the question: we're on a limited budget, and have to choose
between either inexpensive but large IDE disk or fast but small SCSI
disks. The machine has 1GB memory. First thought would be IDE disks since
we have enough memory to cache the DBs.

Question: Does a write transaction in mysql wait for the disk to actually
write the data onto the platter (thereby eliminating our cache), or
doesn't it care about the data hitting the disk before returning (leaving
it to the OS)? If it's the first we might opt for SCSI, if it's the
latter we'll go for IDE.

Thanks for your time.

Regards Thomas, Denmark
--
Webmaster and Systemprogrammer at  *  http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~thomassi/
Department of Mathematics and Physics           *  [EMAIL PROTECTED]