Mr Gerber,

thank's for the fast and helpful respons (the result is in point 2).

1. I also have another problem when I created a simple C-API code, I
couldn't compile correctly, I always get this error below
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local/mysql]:cc
-I/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql -L/usr/local/mysql/lib myapp.>
"./include/mysql.h", line 100: error: invalid type combination

then when I checked mysql.h, there are 2 "long" words, is that ok ?
also when I delete one of the "long" words in mysql.h, the recompile I get
this error below

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local/mysql]:cc
-I/usr/local/mysql/include/mysq>
undefined                       first referenced
mysql_error                         myapp.o
mysql_connect                       myapp.o
mysql_select_db                     myapp.o
mysql_query                         myapp.o
mysql_store_result                  myapp.o
mysql_num_fields                    myapp.o
mysql_fetch_row                     myapp.o
mysql_eof                           myapp.o
mysql_free_result                   myapp.o
mysql_close                         myapp.o
i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to myapp

ANY IDEA ?

myapp.c is as follows

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local/mysql]:cat myapp.c
#include <sys/time.h>
#include "include/mysql.h"
#include <math.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

MYSQL *connection,mysql;
MYSQL_RES *result;
MYSQL_ROW row;
MYSQL_FIELD *fields;

void exiterr(int exitcode)
{
    fprintf( stderr, "%s\n", mysql_error(&mysql) );
    exit( exitcode );
}

int main()
{
    uint i = 0;

    if (!(mysql_connect(&mysql,NULL,NULL,NULL)))
        exiterr(1);

    if (mysql_select_db(&mysql,"dreamgirl"))
        exiterr(2);

    if (mysql_query(&mysql,"SELECT AgtID,AgtLogin FROM Agent"))
        exiterr(3);

    if (!(result = mysql_store_result(&mysql)))
        exiterr(4);

    while((row = mysql_fetch_row(result))) {
        for (i=0 ; i < mysql_num_fields(result); i++)
            printf("%s\n",row[i]);
    }

    if (!mysql_eof(result))
        exiterr(5);

    mysql_free_result(result);

    mysql_close(&mysql);
}

2. I got this below when I ran "configure" (do we need to run make install ?
I got this "[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local/mysql]:make install
don't know how to make install (bu42)).
after I put thread files, I enclosed the output.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local]:./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

ksh: ./configure:  not found
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local]:cd mysql
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local/mysql]:./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/mysql
NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's ready to run, you don't
need to configure it!

To help you a bit, I am now going to create the needed MySQL databases
and start the MySQL server for you.  If you run into any trouble, please
consult the MySQL manual, that you can find in the Docs directory.

Preparing db table
Preparing host table
Preparing user table
Preparing func table
Preparing tables_priv table
Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:
./bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h mfs09.guesswho.com -p password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd . ; ./bin/safe_mysqld &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
directory:
cd sql-bench ; run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the ./bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

Starting the mysqld server.  You can test that it is up and running
with the command:
./bin/mysqladmin version
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local/mysql]:Starting mysqld daemon with
databases from /usr/local/mysql-3.23.36-pc-sco3.2v5.0.5-i386/data

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local/mysql]:mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 3.23.36

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer

mysql> quit
Bye
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local/mysql]:cd ..