Hi!

<cut>

Ken> I would like to know if anyone has some advice on encrypting credit cards
Ken> myself, as it's something I'm going to be needing to look into for my own
Ken> purposes.

We are working on a solution to this which will be available in about
3 weeks. Some of the features of this are:

- We will use a strong encryption function: (des_encrypt()/des_decrypt())
- The credit cards will be crypted in the data files. Just getting
  access to the data files will not make it possible to decrypt the
  credit cards.
- The 'salt' used for encryption can either be stored in a file on the
  server (as a default value for the des_xxx() functions) or specified
  in the SQL statement.
  This enables a customers to do search in the customer database for
  his entry based on his credit card number without having to know the
  'salt'

  SELECT * from customer_database WHERE
credit_card=des_encrypt("his-used-credit-card");

- To decrypt things, the MySQL user need to have certain privileges
  (for using the default key) or specify the used 'salt' to des_decrypt()

We will write a full documentation for this as soon we got this
implemented.

Regards,
Monty

--