Hi All,

I'm "considering" making a huge table, by that I mean approx. 26 millions
records which will be static data, no updates, or deletes, etc. will be
performed on this table, only select statements.

The schema on the table will be as follows.. The address fields will be 56
characters long and the post code 7 characters.

Address 1
Address 2
Address 3
Address 4
Address 5
Address 6
Address 7
Post Code

At a guess the raw data may be in the region of 9GB.

My question is, if I was to do a search on the Post Code (never on any
address fields) what sort of performance can I expect from a Dual Zeon
933Mhz CPUs  running Windows 2000 Pro Server with 512MB RAM?

This is based on the fact the the post code field will be indexed and
perhaps an additional index that indexes the first two characters of the
post code and therefore narrows down the search to specific records to begin
with, ie. OX16 0TH, index this and then create an index with the characters
OX...

Any advice on this or am I in a sinking boat?

Many thanks,

Kevin Smith