the bin log files are actually files for binary logs fused in
replication.
To do rollbacks and such, you need to use innodb table types.
Innodb has table locking, commits, rollbacks, etc and also special log
files to handle the rollbacks.
Read more about innodb table types in the Mysql help.
Otherwise, you can rotate the bin logs buy doing
mysqladmin  flush-logs

This will create a new bin log file, incrementing the file extension by
one.
If you are not doing replication, then there is no need to have the bin
log files and you can disable them in you /etc/my.cnf (or wherever your
my.cnf file is) file by hashing out the line with:
log-bin
server-id = x           (where x is a number)
#log-bin
#server-id

hope this helps.
cheers

richard ward

>>> "Richard Clarke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/22/01 11:06PM >>>
So I have found out that mysql creates bin logs of all queries so that
it
can do rollbacks and such. But is it really necessary for it to
maintain
these logs forever so that they end up to be 10gigs + for only a few
thousand current rows.

Ric