System: FreeBSD 4.2
MySQL 3.23.44 binary dist.
PHP: 4.0.6 compiled from source using --with-mysql

Had a request for a game server. Put it up. Now someone said stats is a
useful feature too. Hmm had box with some spare cycles.

Stats program requires mySQL and PHP. I'm running mySQL on a BSD/OS 4.1
machine quite happily so figure on FreeBSD to be not much diff except I
decided to go with binary dist. and not source...

Anyway a simple query from a php program fails:

Server Address: localhost
Server Username: hlstats
Error Diagnostic:
Bad query.

Server Error: (2013) Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Last SQL Query:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM hlstats_Players WHERE game='cstrike';

Mysql.err file shows this:

011124 09:23:29  mysqld restarted
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Undefined symbol "strtoll"

The above sql query on the sql command line fails as well. One item of
note that I ran across in my quick searching on this is adding +0; at the
end of an sql command will make it work as so:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM hlstats_Players WHERE game='cstrike'+0;

As well the archives show that others have encountered the same error
under FreeBSD but no mention of a way around the error or of what the
cause might be. FreeBSD archives give no mention of this error.

I'm thinking the binary dist. of mySQL 3.23.44 is not suited for this
version of FreeBSD.

Anyone have an idea where to look next?
Thanks,
Keith