Hello Ravi,

Well, in the ./configure script, when I tried using just the
--with-mysql argument (without any argument like =/usr/local/mysql),
the configure script gave me this warning:

|                        *** WARNING ***                             |
| You chose to compile PHP with the built-in MySQL support.  If you  |
| are compiling a server module, and intend to use other server      |
| modules that also use MySQL (e.g, mod_auth_mysql, PHP 3.0,         |
| mod_perl) you must NOT rely on PHP's built-in MySQL support, and   |
| instead build it with your local MySQL support files, by adding    |
| --with-mysql=/path/to/mysql to your configure line.                |

Because I do intend to eventually add mod_perl and possibly others, I
posted to this list (mysql) and asked for advice about what argument to
give to this configuration option, several respondents said "you should
use --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql".

Here is the link to this thread (from the archives):
http://lists.mysql.com/cgi-ez/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:91900

Apparently the built-in MySQL support in PHP4 doesn't allow for other
DSO modules to work on that MySQL support (which makes sense).  You
mention that on OS X it could be more trouble than it's worth...
possibly, but I have everything up and running except for this one
thing -- I need to have the PHP4 DSO link to lmysqlclient.so file!  I
can get the PHP4 DSO up and running just fine without the
"--with-mysql" option, so I don't think that I'll have a problem once I
find that lmysqlclient.so file.

Thanks for your suggestions, though -- if I don't hear back about
lmysqlclient.so then I'll just have to do it with the built-in MySQL
support and worry about mod_perl later in the future.

Erik