Martyn,

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Martyn Wendon wrote:
> No problems in general with the installation.  Everything has been working
> fine, I need to move the database files as I am running out of space on the
> /var partition.

This is surely an access rights problem. If you'd su to the user running
mysql (probably 'mysql') (full command: "su - mysql", or, if you don't
have/know the password of the mysql user, use first "su -", then as root
"su - mysql"), and then try accessing the directory you mentioned as user
mysql, you'll soon see whether you're allowed to or not. If not, set the
appropriate rights and things should work.

In case you need them, manpages to look at would be: chown/chgrp, chmod,
su.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Jan

--
Mr. Jan-Aage Bruvoll             IT Project Manager
20 Min Holding, Thurgauerstrasse 40, CH-8050 Zurich