On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Sinisa Milivojevic wrote:
> I think that our documentation is quite clear on that issue. . . .

Not quite:

"For a successful connection, the return value is the same as the value
of the first parameter, unless you pass NULL for that parameter." (Manual)

That is, if you pass NULL, the result value is _not_ the same as NULL.

So, if you indeed pass NULL, the result is either

  (1) an invalid pointer (pointing to no object that makes sense), or

  (2) a valid one, in which case it must point to a MYSQL structure.

Now, if (1), you can not possibly test the result, can you? You are in a
limbo.

If (2), the MYSQL structure must be a newly created one, since you did not
pass any! And voila, you have created a MYSQL structure without mysql_init
(this is of course is in contradiction with the rest of the
documentation).

Cheers,

--
   ,
 M A R I O   data miner, LIACC, room 221   tel 351+226078830, ext 121