On Monday 26 Nov 2001 20:00, Neil Zanella wrote:
> Now there is one thing that we must be aware of. There are things that
> mysql does not support (yet). These include foreign keys, views,
> subselects, triggers, and procedural SQL, and I can't remember
> if mySQL supports transaction processing either, perhaps someone
> can confirm. If your database is not complex or if you do not need
> subselects then go with mysql.

And if you need subselects, transparently unlimited table sizes or procedural
SQL and other languages at the database level, triggers, foreign keys and
views you will probably be better of with PostgreSQL than with Oracle.

The only feature that comes to mind that Oracle has and neither MySQL nor
PostgreSQL have is the ability to set up a transparent server cluster with
distributed data and have multiple servers execute (some) queries in parallel
transparently, thus providing a bit of added scaleability.

In practice, though, you can get a nearly same effect with PostgreSQL and
MySQL if you set up replication, and have your application round-robin the
database servers.

As someone said earlier in this thread - if you don't _know_ you need Oracle,
then you don't need Oracle.

Regards.

Gordan